"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything,
but I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do."

~ Helen Keller

Friday, November 5, 2010

Low Key Day

After yesterday, we decided today needed to be a low-key day. In fact, we kinda wanted to hang out with just Vova for a change. We never actually told the other boys that, but they seemed to sense it. So, for the most part, they gave us some privacy. We talked a little bit about our family, and showed Vova pictures of his siblings (which he had seen), his grandparents on my side of the family, his grandparents on Jeff's side of the family, and his aunts and uncles. He seemed to like seeing pictures of everyone.

Then we moved into a little bit of learning. He's doing pretty good with saying his colors in English, and, with a little bit of prompting here and there, he can count to 100. But, to be honest, it is a chore for him to try to learn English. He repeats back the things that we ask him to say, and he tries really hard, but he gets frustrated after just a few minutes of working. I am praying that when he is immersed in an English-speaking culture, he will naturally, and quickly pick things up.

After working on his English, we moved into play mode. The biggest hit of the day was when Jeff made a paper airplane. That one simple little hand-made toy provided enough fun for the next 30 minutes! I tell you what, there's just nothing like laughter that bubbles out of a child! They were throwing that airplane straight up into the air, between their legs, over their shoulders...you name it, they tried it. What fun.

After that 3 or 4 Vova's friends joined us. As always, it was so pleasant being there amongst these children. But it seems like our two-hour visiting time is just not long enough anymore. I am finding that when 4:00 arrives, Jeff and I look at each other...and we know that neither one of us is ready to say goodbye. We could easily stay for hours longer. But, alas, we must go. As we were walking away this time, I kept thinking that when we play together, I hardly even notice anymore that we don't speak the same language as Vova and his friends. All I can figure is that love, fun and play must translate the same into any language!

1 comment:

  1. And so it goes...Love is just love...the same in any language. This reminds me of what Kevin said about worshiping in Baja, Mexico. He had no idea the exact translation for the songs they sang, but he understood completely the sentiments expressed.:) And I have a feeling that Vova's siblings will draw the English out of him quite quickly.:)

    ReplyDelete