"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything,
but I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do."

~ Helen Keller

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mock Slumber Party

We have had so much fun hanging out with the boys at the orphanage, Jeff and I have been wishing that we could bring them all back to our apartment to have a slumber party. Our kids back home just LOVE doing that, so we keep thinking that these kids would enjoy it as well. But, of course, inviting 10 or 11 boys from the orphanage over to our place for the night is not even a remote possibility. So, we figured we would take the party to the orphanage!

Okay, so it wasn't the full fledged slumber party that we had, but it WAS a "mock" 2-hour slumber party. We took a movie (this one loaded in Russian, so there was no need for a remote), popped some popcorn, brought some grapes, drinks, candy and gum. Since we had only 2 hours, we quickly got the movie going. As the boys realized what was going on, they began to file into the room, and set up their places around the TV. Then we passed around the popcorn, grapes and drinks. We also passed around our camera so they could have fun taking pictures of each other. Some boys sat and watched the entire movie, while others gathered into small groups to play cards, or to do other games together. At one point, Jeff and I just sat back and breathed in the joy that was so tangible in that room! Jeff leaned over and said to me, "This is just like Jeffery's slumber parties back home...the boys are doing different things, but they are happy because they are all in the same room, comfortable being together, enjoying their companionship". He was right. It was wonderful, and so much fun.

As our time together drew near, I realized how very much I needed to tell Vova that I love him. But the room was bustling with activity, so I brought him into another room where it was quiet. We sat down beside each other on one of the kid's beds, and he looked up at me. I'm not sure if I pronounced it exactly right, but I did it...in Russian, I told him that I love him. He looked down at his hands, then back up at me with a shy little grin on his face. Then he hugged me real hard. And, again, my heart just melted for this precious little guy.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet!!!! What fun!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! Thanks for letting us share your special moments, including and especially the first time you were able to tell Vova that you love him. God is SO good!!

    ReplyDelete